Welcome to the Wellington Timebank
The Wellington Timebank originally began as the Wellington South Timebank in 2011. Due to growing interest from across the central Wellington area, we expaned and became the Wellington Timebank in 2012. Now we are a community of people from all over the central Wellington area.
In our community we look out for each other and embrace diversity.
Through exchanging skills, time and knowledge we foster relationships of trust and reciprocity. We harness the real wealth of the community and the value of each individual.
1. We are all assets. Every person has something to contribute.
2. Redefining work: All kinds of work need to be honoured and rewarded.
3. Reciprocity. Relationships are about giving and receiving. "You need me" becomes "We need each other".
4. Social networks. People helping each other weaves communities of support, strength and trust.
5. Respect. All of us matter and are accountable to one another.
Joining the Timebank takes three simple steps!
Step One: Get in touch with Hannah at the Wellington Timebank office and make a time to meet up. She is based at the Newtown Community Centre from Monday - Wednesday and can be contacted on 920 6708 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step Two: Meet Hannah and go through the application process. We do a couple of referee checks and a police check for each member who joins. So, you'll need to bring with you:
- The names and number of 2 referees. (This is one of our ways of ensuring the safety of members. Once you are a full member you could be invited into the home of any or many of them.)
- Photo ID for a police check. (We also do a background police check although having minor, past convictions does not automatically exclude membership.)
- $10 membership fee ($5 with community services card).
- Ideas about what can offer and what you might like to receive.
Step Three: After everything has been checked you will be given full access to Community Weaver and can trade until your heart is content!
- Post some skills and talents you have to offer other members.
- Post some requests for skills or talents that other members can provide for you.
Ongoing Use of the TimeBank:
- Don't hesitate to respond to an offer or request. This is exactly how new sharing and relationships are built which strengthen our community.
- Please respond in a timely manner to calls or emails you receive from your neighbours about the requests of offers you've posted.
- After you've communicating with a neighbour and determining a service exchange is appropriate, make specific arrangements how to coordinate the exchange.
- Fulfill the exchange and save a record of it in your hours account.
- Come back and review offers and requests from other members
Do this again and again to help keep our community alive and flourishing.