The Wellington Timebank originally began as the Wellington South Timebank in 2011. Due to growing interest from across the central Wellington area, we expaned and became the Wellington Timebank in 2012. Now we are a community of people from all over the central Wellington area.
In our community we look out for each other and embrace diversity.
Through exchanging skills, time and knowledge we foster relationships of trust and reciprocity. We harness the real wealth of the community and the value of each individual.
1. We are all assets. Every person has something to contribute.
2. Redefining work: All kinds of work need to be honoured and rewarded.
3. Reciprocity. Relationships are about giving and receiving. "You need me" becomes "We need each other".
4. Social networks. People helping each other weaves communities of support, strength and trust.
5. Respect. All of us matter and are accountable to one another.
Joining the Timebank takes three simple steps!
Step Two: Come to one of our orientation sessions. We do a couple of referee checks and a Criminal Records check for each member who joins. So, you'll need to bring with you:
- The names and number of 2 referees. (This is one of our ways of ensuring the safety of members. Once you are a full member you could be invited into the home of any or many of them.)
- Photo ID for a Criminal Records check (having minor, past convictions does not automatically exclude membership.)
- $20 membership fee (Suggested - there is a sliding scale from $0-$80, we ask members to pay when they sign up, and annually in November. This fee is optional, however we appreciate all the support we can get to continue providing the best Timebanking services for you! No-one will be denied access to Timebank). You can pay in cash or with POLi here!
- Ideas about what can offer and what you might like to receive.
Step Three: After everything has been checked you will be given full access to Community Weaver and can trade until your heart is content!
- Post some skills and talents you have to offer other members.
- Post some requests for skills or talents that other members can provide for you.
Ongoing Use of the TimeBank:
- Don't hesitate to respond to an offer or request. This is exactly how new sharing and relationships are built which strengthen our community.
- Please respond in a timely manner to calls or emails you receive from your neighbours about the requests of offers you've posted.
- After you've communicating with a neighbour and determining a service exchange is appropriate, make specific arrangements how to coordinate the exchange.
- Fulfill the exchange and save a record of it in your hours account.
- Come back and review offers and requests from other members
Do this again and again to help keep our community alive and flourishing.